- Dear Baldwin Community,
WOW! our first semester as a Baldwin Learning Community has come to an end. It was such a successful first half of the year and we could not have been so successful without all of your support and care!
During the month of December, we had many activities and events for our children and the community at-large. We had well-over 200 coats donated to the "Coats for Kids" campaign and you all helped sponsor 22 families for the Christmas Holidays. I was just amazed with all of the sharing that was given during this time. I also want to thank you for the care you showed our teachers, custodians, cafeteria staff, office staff and administrators during the month of December. On behalf of everyone at Baldwin, I want to thank you for all of the food, cookies, gift cards, gifts, flowers and special hugs. These are deeply appreciated!
- We also appreciate all of the support you showed during our "first" Book Fair. Mrs. Dethlefsen, our librarian, was amazed with all of the volunteers that came out to assist at the Book Fair. She told me that this was a very dedicated group of volunteers and that she could not have made it through the week without you. So thank you for giving your time and talents. The MovieNight/Santa Visit Night were tied with a shopping night at the Book Fair and this turned out to be a very special event for everyone. Thank you to our PTA and the numerous volunteers for helping that night and for sponsoring such a fun, family event! We look forward to many more of these nights.
- Our "first" Bell Run was a huge success too and what a beautiful day we had for the Bell Run. Thank you Mr. Grumbles, our PE Coach, and his team for organizing such a fun event. I also saw many parents and friends encouraging our students and teachers as they ran through the course. I think I even spotted a few parents running with the students. Ms. Kane and I ran/walked with the fifth graders in the afternoon. For me the hardest part was the slide. I was afraid I wasn't going to fit but luckily I did because I had an audience of fifth graders waiting for me at the bottom of the slide. I landed with a huge "kerplunk!" I'm grateful there is a soft pad at the bottom of the slide, which made the landed a bit softer. It was so much fun I wanted to get back on the slide but I didn't because I had to get back to the task at hand, which was to finish the Bell Run course. Thank you again to everyone for participating in this first Bell Run and for having fun with us at Baldwin.
- I don't know if you remember but earlier in the fall we had children submit original work to the PTA Reflections Program. We submitted 20% of the entries, which was a grand total of 13. We submitted art along with all other AISD elementary schools. There were thousands of entries and 2 of our 13 placed. Well, not only did we place, but we have one student's entry moving on to Nationals! Congratulations to Charlotte I. Her entry is going on to the National level competition. Charlotte is one of our youngest Bobcats; she is in Kindergartener. We also had a 2nd grade student that earned a prize. Congratulations to Jayden W. for winning 3rd place. We are so proud of Charlotte and Jayden for their great work!! We wish Charlotte the best of luck at this next level. We hope to have more entries in next year's competition. Thank you to everyone that submitted an entry to the program this year. Let's start thinking about how we can showcase our Bobcat talents next year!
- During these two weeks off, I ask that you please continue to read with your children or encourage them to read so that we don't have anyone regress in their progress. You can also practice math facts with them;this would be very helpful too. For our youngest Bobcats, I ask that you begin to talk with them about returning to school a few days before January 4th so that they can be ready to come back to school on that Tuesday morning.
- Once again, I thank ALL of you for making the "first" semester at Baldwin so memorable and successful. I wish everyone a great Holiday Break! May your time with family and friends bring you peace and joy both now and in the New Year!
- See you bright and early on January 4, 2011! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
- Roaring with Pride,
- Dr. Peña